Creating an active Team!
I sometimes hear the exasperation in a Team Leaders voice when they tell me, ‘I have a team, but hardly any of them are actually doing anything!’
This is often the case in social selling/networking – to be honest if twenty percent of the team are working, we often think it’s ‘O.K’; after all, we hear so often of the 80/20 rule.
Let me share two things with you.
1. If twenty percent of your team are working it’s not great – but it is a start!
2. The 80/20 rule should not apply to ‘team members working’. It applies to ‘potential leaders’ and ‘potential recuits’.
To clarify: if you have 10 prospects then 2 will be interested in your business: if you have a team of 10 then 2 are potential leaders.
As for team members actively working every single month (although week would be preferable) fifty-seventy percent would be super. If this sounds high then ask yourself if you are recruiting people because they have a need or want…or because you are super-persuasive!
Here are a few simple steps to help you to build an active team:
1. On appointment – that is when you are closing the sale and doing the paperwork. Talk about ‘going to work’ each week. Ask THEM, ‘How often do you want to work each week?’ Then fill in a potential business planner**
2. When team members are inactive for a whole month call them. Ask, ‘How can I help you?’ Don’t ‘Nag’ or ‘Tell off’. Positioning is everything in our business. If someone started out by wanting or needing to work just once a week, and they are not doing so, then they are not achieving their want/need and it is your job as a Leader to help them.
3. Every 3 months do a review with each Team Member. This can be as simple as sending out a ‘feedback form’ (contact me for suggested content) initially. You need to know:
A. If they are fulfilling their ‘why’ (reason they joined/are working the business)
B. If their ‘why’ has changed (if so you need to sit and re-plan with them so that they can fulfill their new ‘why’)
Open ended questions, focus and support….good leaders provide all of these!
** Potential business planners can be found in the second book in the series ‘Social Direct Selling – Yes You Can’